Re: translating numpad keys in linux terminal

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: translating numpad keys in linux terminal
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 07:37:46 -0800

* Pascal J. Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> [150401 07:11]:
> Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:
>
> > Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:
> >
> >> Is there a way to read the other keys with "kp-" as in gui emacs?
> >
> > I don't think so.  If you have a look at the lossage (C-h l), you see
> > what events Emacs receives before doing any key translations.
> >
> > For the up and kp-up keys for example I see the same events coming from
> > the terminal: ESC O A.  Thus Emacs can't distinguish the two.
> >
> > At least that's what happens here.  Maybe it is different when using
> > a different terminal or different terminal settings.
>
> It all depends if you can configure your terminal (or terminal
> emulator), to send different code sequences to distinguish 1 from kp-1.
>
> If you use a terminal emulator, they you might be able to patch it more
> easily than if you use a physical terminal (which assumedly is
> improbable).
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__                 http://www.informatimago.com/
> “The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a
> dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to
> keep the man from touching the equipment.” -- Carl Bass CEO Autodesk
  Thanks for the replies. I found the same with earlier versions of
  ubuntu.

  FYI: The workstation is a mac mini with OS X on dual-boot. I
  find that iTerm2 translates all but the enter key, but as if
  numlock is on (which is OK for binding).

  Oh well, I'll just use X11 emacs, which is as nimble on ubuntu as
  terminal mode is on the Mac :)
  thanks again

--
Tim