Re: translating numpad keys in linux terminal

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: translating numpad keys in linux terminal
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 01:23:40 +0200

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com>
writes:

> It all depends if you can configure your terminal
> (or terminal emulator), to send different code
> sequences to distinguish 1 from kp-1.

Try xev(1) from xterm in X - /usr/bin/xev, likely -
and hit the different keys. Do you (the OP) get
different results? I do, but I also get an annoying
little window which reports the keypresses.
With 'emacs -nw', don't you still have the terminal
window to do this? Maybe the reason is: 'emacs -nw'
doesn't only say "run Emacs in a terminal", perhaps it
also says "...then we don't need to bother about some
modules" and those are precisely what you would need.

Regardless of whatever, those keys are not good
(neither) as they involve moving your right hand out
of typing position. You have more luck, and more
speed, with shortcuts that don't require you to move
your hands from the "asdf" and "jkl;" positions.

Another approach would be to do a little configuration
to the GUI Emacs: get away with the menu, scrollbars,
and so on. Soon, it'll look just like the terminal
version and with modern computers it should be just as
fast as well.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573