Re: translating numpad keys in linux terminal

From: Richard Wordingham
Subject: Re: translating numpad keys in linux terminal
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 00:45:43 +0100

On Fri, 03 Apr 2015 01:10:47 +0200
Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> But yes, X and xterm should be enough because as said,
> xev do reports different keys when run from xterm.

When I run xev on Ubuntu 12.04 in a gnome-terminal and then select the
original terminal, xev reports nothing when I hit keypad keys.  Some
keys generate sequences that are echoed to the terminal.  This is the
root of the problem.  Emacs does not get keystrokes directly from X;
instead they are mediated by the terminal emulator, gnome-terminal in
my case.

Now, if I click on the window created by xev, keypad events do get
reported.  These events have gone to Xev via the X system; the terminal
emulator has not seen them as directed at it.

Richard.