Re: Caps-mode vs. Overwrite mode

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Caps-mode vs. Overwrite mode
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 11:14:43 -0400

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

>>> When I toggle caps-mode on, overwrite mode stops working.
>>> That is, inserted characters insert instead of overwriting.
>>> Any hints?
>>
>> The caps-mode.el that's in GNU ELPA shouldn't suffer from this
>> problem, AFAIK.
>
> My first search only turns up caps-lock.el?
>
> Works better than caps-mode, but does type lower case
> when the shift key is used.  I can live with that I think,
> might even learn to like it.
>
> So, good enough, thanks!

Spoke too soon.
caps-lock mode isn't buffer local.

I want to turn this on only in selected buffers.

It looks like I have to toggle caps-lock mode off to enter
lower case commands in the mini-buffer.

I'm using this for editing HLASM, PL/I, etc, languages that
are traditionally done all upper case.

--
Dan Espen