Re: Bookmark the end of file?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Bookmark the end of file?
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 03:03:15 +0200

On 2015-04-07, at 01:59, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

>> how to set a bookmark to the end of some file (IOW, (point-max))?  (Of
>> course it is possible with Bookmark+, but is there any UI for that
>> there?  Is it at all possible with vanilla bookmarks?)
>>
>> My use case is a file which I visit (almost) every day to /add/
>> something to its end (e.g., a ledger file).  I can imagine other,
>> similar uses for that, too.
>
> 1. You can use `bookmark-after-jump-hook' with both vanilla
> `bookmark.el' and Bookmark+.  Add a function that goes to
> `point-max', for instance.
>
> If you don't want to do that for all bookmarks (which I
> imagine), you can define a command that binds that hook and
> then jumps to a particular bookmark or lets you choose a
> bookmark from some particular set of bookmarks.  IOW, create
> your own `jump-then-goto-eof' command.

Thanks - but not really what I'm after (as you pointed out).  If
I wanted a command, I wouldn't need bookmarks at all.  (Though this is
not an unreasonable thing to use, either.)

> 2. Both vanilla bookmarks and Bookmark+ bookmarks save text
> before and after point, and then use that text to try to
> reposition the location later.  Usually that enables relocation
> correctly.
>
> But if the location is at eof/eob and you append new text to
> the file then this relocation might fail.

Exactly.

> With Bookmark+, you can bookmark the file and then combine
> that bookmark with a function bookmark that goes to `point-max'.
> That is, create a sequence bookmark of: (1) the bookmark to the
> file followed by (2) a function bookmark that goes to eof.

That was more or less what I was thinking about.  I was just curious
whether Bookmark+ has some UI for that scenario.

> 3. With Bookmark+, you can tag a bookmark with tag "bmkp-jump".
> The function that is the value of a "bmkp-jump" tag is called
> just after standard hook `bookmark-after-jump-hook' is invoked.
>
> Note that this is a case where the tag is not just a string -
> it is a cons with car "bmkp-jump" and with cdr the extra jump
> function.  IOW, you can use tag "bmkp-jump" to invoke functions
> that are specific to individual bookmarks.  In this way,
> bookmarks can have their own, extra jump behavior.

And this is probably the cleanest solution, and the one which I'm going
to use.

Thanks!

--
Marcin Borkowski