Re: Bookmark the end of file?

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: Bookmark the end of file?
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 09:49:47 -0700

On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 03:10:56 +0200, in message
87sicchhen.fsf@wmi.amu.edu.pl, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> But putting stupid jokes aside, if I /always/ hit M-> after visiting
> some file, something is not optimal, right?  And bookmarks are
> a convenient way to visit often-used files, regardless if the
> directory I'm in.  (And I have a rather deep directory structure - I
> have virtually no files until two levels down, and usually there are
> three or four.  OTOH, there are no more than maybe two-three dozen of
> files I'm working on at any particular moment.  This is a perfect use
> case for bookmarks.)

Are these files of a type that can take comments?  If so, you
could try adding a file-local variable to each one, telling Emacs
to go to the end of the file.  Another possibility is to Customize
the "find-file-hook" to do what you want.  (Despite its name,
find-file-hook is a "List of functions to be called after a buffer
is loaded from a file."  [From the documentation.])

Hmm... Now that I think about it, I seem to recall someone on this
list asking if one could create a command-line option to do what
you're asking.  "emacs --exec (<go to eof>) filename", or
something like that.  Of course, it would only work with the
file(s) on the command line.  (If you were the one who asked that
question, I'm going to feel very silly.)

> PS. BTW, the other bindings you mentioned are useless for me: I have
> my menu-bar disabled (ok, I /could/ use M-x menu-bar-open...), and
> don't have an <end> key on my netbook.

That's okay; while I do have the menu-bar active, I never use it
to go to the end or beginning of the file -- M-> is so much
simpler to type.  As for the <End> key, I've never used it.  :-)

I don't know if any of this will help, but maybe it will point you
in the right direction.

--Dale

--
"Come, muse, let us sing of rats."  -- James Grainger