Re: [solved] Re: How to uninstall Emacs?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [solved] Re: How to uninstall Emacs?
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 19:02:18 +0200

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> No need As of now emacs depends (and so pulls in)
> emacs24 At some future point it may change that to
> emacs25 when you can (if you wish) remove emacs24
>
> [There are some minor niggles about manual and auto
> installed tho...]

There can be several problems which is to be expected
with some 40 000 packs, but if you strictly adhere to
the humpty-dumpty rules of thumb I just posted it
should assure you a minimal dosage of problems.

However, if the installer (aptitude) chokes, it is
always a good idea to read the output as often the
problems can be easily dealt with. For example, it can
happen that it says:

    mkdir: cannot create directory ‘a/b/c/d’: No such file or directory

as the result of a command 'mkdir a/b/c/d' - yep, that
should have come with the '-p' or '--parents' option,
and realizing that you can manually create the
directory path to make the aptitude command work if
you invoke it yet again the same way.

And so on. In particular, if aptitude chokes, you
don't need to reinstall the entire system!

Another source of annoyance is the division between
the KDE and GNOME tools. Because they depend on
different graphics libraries, installing a simple tool
(which may have an excellent CLI and in essence
doesn't even have anything to do with graphics or the
desktop) you are still required to get the whole
KDE/GNOME tool chain! This is even more annoying as
there is absolutely no need for it save for some
people's hysteria for a consistent "look and feel",
where it is more important that everything looks the
same (and it doesn't even look good at that) instead
on focusing on what the tool does. The result of this
is that tools become dependent on other tools (and
libraries) for no reason with respect to the
functionality or purpose of the tool, but only as
a consequence of the "look and feel" hysteria.
An example is 'gnome-terminal' and a zillion other
pieces of software with the gnome- prefix that
shouldn't have anything to do with GNOME.
So use xterm!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573