RE: Do we want more choice? (was Bookmark the end of file?)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Do we want more choice? (was Bookmark the end of file?)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 22:35:21 -0700 (PDT)

> > > Because offering more choices doesn't always help the user.
> >
> > No, of course not.  But neither does offering fewer choices.
> > How about speaking to this particular question, instead just
> > throwing out truisms?
>
> There is a general realization nowadays, that everything being
> equal, less choice is likely better than more choice:

"A general realization." "Nowadays." Ooooh. Can't argue with that.

Consideration of one particular choice has now been successfully
diverted toward vacuous generalizations about choice in general -
platitudes of Polonius.  Too bad.

Not to mention that no one proposed forcing users to choose
anything here.  Define a default behavior.  Provide an easy
way to get other, optional behavior.  No imposition.  No user
paralysis before a terrifying and difficult dilemma.  Perfectly
ignorable choice; zero choosing needed.

I'm afraid you've missed the point. But you were led by example
to miss it.