Re: Do we want more choice? (was Bookmark the end of file?)

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Do we want more choice? (was Bookmark the end of file?)
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 09:53:12 +0200

On 2015-04-13, at 09:17, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

>> "A general realization." "Nowadays." Ooooh. Can't argue with that.
>>
>> Consideration of one particular choice has now been successfully
>> diverted toward vacuous generalizations about choice in general -
>> platitudes of Polonius.  Too bad.
>
> I must say that I agree strongly with this point of view.
>
> More choice is *always* better. The hard part is presenting this
> choice to the user in a way it doesn't overwhelm her/him.

Hm.  Don't want to sound trollish, but as a mathematician I'm strongly
against using the general quantifier where it doesn't belong.  So, not
*always*, but often.  (A good source of counterexamples is ethics.
I wouldn't consider giving my child -- or myself, for that matter --
giving more choice wrt to e.g. drugs a good thing.)

> I have the strong suspicion that the "less choice is good" movement
> we are seeing stems from being too lazy (or at a loss) wrt thinking
> hard about how to guide the user through a rich set of choices. The
> latter would be, in my view, the right thing to do.

+1.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski