Re: combine-and-quote-strings

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: combine-and-quote-strings
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 18:54:15 +0000

Pascal J. Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> schrieb am So., 12. Apr. 2015
um 13:05 Uhr:

> Philipp Stephani <p.stephani2@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > the Lisp manual explains (in the section "Shell Arguments"):
> >
> >     The following two functions are useful for combining a list of
> >     individual command-line argument strings into a single string,
> >
> > This is about combine-and-quote-strings (and
> > split-strings-and-unquote).  However, combine-and-quote-strings can't
> > really be used for that purpose because it doesn't quote many shell
> > metacharacters.  The correct way to shell-quote a list of arguments is
> >
> >     (mapconcat #'shell-quote-argument ARGS " ")
> >
> > Should combine-and-quote-strings be reimplemented in terms of
> > shell-quote-argument?  The current definition doesn't seem to be optimal
> > for shell quoting because many inputs aren't properly quoted.
> >
> > Or is combine-and-quote-strings not intended for shell quoting at all
> > and the documentation should be adapted?
>
> The documentation ofcombine-and-quote-strings doesn't mention shell
> quoting at all.

True, but it sounds as if it could be used for shell quoting, and only
careful reading of the Elisp manual or the source code will tell otherwise.
At least I was initially confused about this. Maybe a warning could be
added to both the function documentation and the Elisp manual that these
functions are not intended for shell quoting?