Re: sudo make install

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: sudo make install
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 13:01:46 +0200

Hi Bob,

> I use Debian.  In Debian the /usr/local tree is group-owned by the
> "staff" group.  I place myself in the staff group.

Thanks very much for your detailed answer.  What you suggest seems very
reasonable.  I use Debian too, btw.

Is the ownership of the /usr/local directory tree the only important
property of the staff group, or is it used for other purposes as well?

With other words: what are the consequences of adding my user to the
staff group, other than that I will be able to modify the /usr/local
tree?

Regards,

Michael.