Re: Speck (Spell checker for Emacs)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Speck (Spell checker for Emacs)
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 18:19:13 +0300

> Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 00:55:41 +0200
> From: Alexander Shukaev <haroogan@gmail.com>
>
> I've installed Speck recently, but could not get it to work unfortunately.
> Would anybody who is using it be so kind to assist me with it?

I'm not using it, but I downloaded it and took a look.

> I have the following configuration:
>
> (use-package speck
>   :ensure
>   :defer
>   :commands
>   (speck-mode)
>   :init
>   (setq speck-hunspell-program (executable-find "hunspell"))
>   (setq speck-hunspell-coding-system (quote utf-8))
>   (setq speck-hunspell-dictionary-alist
>         (quote (("en" . "en_US")
>                 ("ru" . "ru_RU"))))
>   (setq speck-hunspell-language-options
>         (quote (("en" utf-8 nil nil nil)
>                 ("ru" utf-8 nil nil nil))))
>   (setq speck-hunspell-default-dictionary-name "en")
>
>   (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'speck-mode)
>   (add-hook 'prog-mode-hook 'speck-mode)
>   :config)
>

> In any buffer where Speck is enabled then, I see the following error:
>
> Error running timer `speck-windows': (error "Process speck not running)
>

> ​Any ideas what could be done here?  Thank you.

It sounds like speck.el "needs work" to be able to work out of the box
with Hunspell.  The problem is this default:

  (defcustom speck-hunspell-library-directory (speck-hunspell-binary-directory)
    "Name of Hunspell library directory.
  This should specify the absolute name of the directory where the
  Hunspell dictionaries reside.  The default value is the directory where
  the Hunspell executable resides."

What it means is that speck.el will instruct Hunspell to look for
dictionaries in the same directory where the Hunspell executable
resides, which is never going to work with a "normal" installation of
Hunspell.

Customize that variable to point to share/hunspell subdirectory of the
directory where you installed Hunspell, and the package will start
working for you.