Re: sudo make install

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: sudo make install
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 15:33:26 +0200

Hi Bob,

> Again, if you are a solo individual working on your own laptop or
> whatever then umask doesn't matter.  If you are in group 'staff' then
> you would be able to 'make install' and write the files to /usr/local
> without root (without sudo, without su) and the files could be written
> using a more restrictive 022 umask.  The umask strategy above only
> comes into play when there are multiple users needing to share a
> working area.

thanks again for your explanations.

I think I got it right - but got confused by the octal notation of the
umask and the optional leading zero.  I didn't find any explanation of
how the umask is interpreted for different numbers of digits.  I tried
"umask 0002", and saw from the umask -S output that it was what I
wanted.

I also understood the role of the sticky bit set for "/usr/share": it
causes the files I created there to be group owned by "staff" even when
it is not my primary group.

But after all, it doesn't work as expected.  When I do "make
install", even with the correct umask in effect, installed stuff in
/usr/local is not group writable.  Looking at the output of "make
install", "make" seems to set the umask explicitly itself:

[...]
Installing utilities for users to run.
umask 022 && /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/local/bin"
for file in etags ctags emacsclient  ebrowse ; do \
  /usr/bin/install -c  ${file} \
    "/usr/local/bin"/` \
      echo ${file} | sed -e 's/$//' -e 's,x,x,' \
    ` || exit; \
done
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/micha/software/emacs/lib-src'
if test "no" = "no"; then \
  /usr/bin/install -c  src/emacs "/usr/local/bin/`echo emacs-25.0.50 | sed
's,x,x,'`" || exit 1 ; \
  chmod 1755 "/usr/local/bin/`echo emacs-25.0.50 | sed 's,x,x,'`" || true; \
  if test "x" = x; then \
    rm -f "/usr/local/bin/`echo emacs | sed 's,x,x,'`" ; \
    cd "/usr/local/bin" && ln -s `echo emacs-25.0.50 | sed 's,x,x,'` `echo
emacs | sed 's,x,x,'`; \
  fi;
[...]

This prevents me from getting the result you suggested.

Thanks,

Michael.