Re: customizing minibuffer and the message bar, ie mode-line

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: customizing minibuffer and the message bar, ie mode-line
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 10:39:29 +1000

gnuist006@gmail.com writes:

(4) How to make the message-bar more professional?

Like Emanuel, i'm not sure what you mean by "more professional", though it seems to me "more professional" is very subjective. However, i do find the default mode-line to be too cluttered - particularly with information not useful to me - and so i've set the value of `mode-line-format' roughly like so (i use vertical bars to visually separate mode-line 'fields'):

[read-only marker, if appropriate]
[buffer-modified marker, if appropriate]
buffer-name

buffer coding system
([EOL type if not Unix])

major mode
([mode-specific info, e.g. away status when using ERC])

line,column / [position of point as percentage of buffer]

[word count, when appropriate]

moon phase

hebrew date

Works For Me. :-)