Re: [solved] Re: How to uninstall Emacs?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [solved] Re: How to uninstall Emacs?
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 03:40:52 +0200

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> When I was 20 years old I didn't need any memory
> aides help me remember anything. Years have past and
> now I find those hints that take me to the related
> bug reports to be needed for me to re-cache in
> memory what I need to know about a particular
> problem.

Many years ago I read a book called "Programmers at
work" -

    @book{programmers-at-work,
      title      = {Programmers at Work: Interviews With 19 Programmers Who
Shaped the Computer},
      author     = {Susan Lammers},
      publisher  = {Tempus Books},
      year       = {July 1989},
      ISBN       = {1556152116}
    }

- in which I think it was Charles Simonyi (the
inventor of "Hungarian Notation") who played a little
game every time he went to sleep. He'd visualize
a castle with ten rooms, and in every room there are
ten items.

I tried this game myself but was a bit disappointed
because I realized you could "cheat" but putting only
weapons in the armory, only clothes in the wardrobe,
etc. Or you could have only items with the first
letter A in the first room, then B..., etc.

I don't know if this really improved my memory but
sometimes it made me sleep, probably because it shut
out other thoughts so brought relaxation.

On the whole, memory does not improve with age (as
does nothing) but I don't think 20 year olds
necessarily have good memory. Many of them don't have
good memory and that relates to them having a short
radar in time and in space. If they really put their
"mind" into remembering things they would. But living
in the moment - which is their spaciality - can work
against them and this is visible for example in young
people telling people the same stories over and over.
"You already told us that." "Oh, I did."

> Many of those be deja-bugs again in the future.
> Being able to review the history and get up to speed
> faster by reading those bug reports helps.

Problems reoccur or are variations of old problems.
That's the basic truth to it all. It is like
a computer cache. Proximity in space and time.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573