Re: Speck (Spell checker for Emacs)

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Speck (Spell checker for Emacs)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 14:57:36 +0200

Alexander Shukaev wrote:

>> Initially, speck was written without Hunspell support.  I added it as
>> soon as the first executables for Windows appeared (that was quite some
>> time before any other Emacs Spell Checker was able to talk to Hunspell).
>> The customization variables are still from that early period, there was
>> no "normal" installation procedure at that time IIRC.  Moreover, I never
>> upgraded my spell engines since then.  So probably support is missing or
>> incorrect in this area.
>

> ​What I wonder is why Speck is not so popular, it seems not so many people
> use it or even know about it.  What do others use for spell checking?
> Flyspell?  Personally, I have to admit that my experiences with Flyspell
> are terrible as it is extremely slow and continuously stutters Emacs.  Even
> `flyspell-lazy' does not help.  On the other hand, Speck seems to be
> working truly (or almost truly) asynchronously and therefore I experience
> no stutters or slowdowns.

Speaking for myself (truism ;-)), I use flyspell when typing and I don't
experience any slowdown.

Of course, changing the language will take some time, depending on the
buffer length. Changing the language to FR. Back to English!

Demo: http://screencast.com/t/u3Y3XjBR7s.

Another reason for me to use Flyspell was its availability on Windows as
well, and Speck seemed complex to correctly tune when I looked at it,
but that (or I) may have changed...

Best regards,
  Seb

--