Re: reddit

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: reddit
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 08:53:45 +0200

On 2015-05-02, at 19:38, Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Yes, it's a bit quiet there. But every once in
>> a while it gets a nice discussion going that
>> wouldn't really fit on stack exchange.
>
> Discussions are not "allowed" there which is one of
> the reason I don't use them sites actively. But if
> I Google an error message the solution is often in one
> of their sites. So their system works, no doubt.
> What doesn't work, or wouldn't work for yours truly
> anyway, is to get better by being active. It isn't
> relaxed enough. There you should know everything to
> the point or shut up. Also, there is no
> self-expression (different personalities of
> posters)... It works as a method, but is it
> a community? If so, too much Aspergers.

Just my 2 cents: try TeX.StackExchange.  /Completely/ different
experience: it's much less strict than StackOverflow, for instance,
waaaay friendlier, and there /are/ personalities (one the most famous is
Barbara Beeton, whose posts are exclusively in lowercase /unless/ she
writes officially on behalf of the AMS or TUG - this would be
unacceptable on SO - also Enrico Gregorio's posts, and probably also
David Carlisle's - and a few others - are easy to recognize after a few
lines).

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski