Re: Gnus + emacs.stackexchange

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Gnus + emacs.stackexchange
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 05:39:45 -0400

On Wed, 06 May 2015 02:30:55 +0200 Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

EB> If you check out

EB>     nntp: news.gwene.org

EB> and make a search for "comments", you see that many
EB> blogs have a separate feed for comments. I can't see
EB> why the SX question solution can't be easily extended
EB> to include answers and comments, but I don't know
EB> the details.

EB> The best solution would be to have only one feed that
EB> would result in a threaded Gnus summary where SX
EB> answers and comments (and blog comments) were
EB> subordinated the question (just like we get it for
EB> mail/listbots/Usenet).

EB> Because it is such a natural thing to wish for,
EB> I suspect we are not the first to react like this and
EB> probably there are technical complications. It looks
EB> simple but because it isn't done I suspect it isn't.

I've suggested it, but it's incredibly complicated to make a generic
solution for posting to a comment feed. Gwene would have to support
potentially hundreds of comment feed formats; the formatting and other
things would be broken.

But this is still theoretically possible, whereas...

EB> The step after that would be to be able to answer (and
EB> add comments) just by replying to the OP as we are
EB> also accustomed to.

Even just for SX sites it would be very difficult to make a NNTP-to-SX
gateway without the active participation and commitment of the people
who write and maintain those sites' software. Most sites nowadays make
it hard to post mechanically on purpose since the potential for abuse is
very high.

Ted