auctex startup improvements and osx

From: ivowel
Subject: auctex startup improvements and osx
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 15:23:28 -0700 (PDT)

I am running Gnu Emacs 24.5.1 on OSX Yosemite, binary download from
http://emacsformacosx.com/ . when auctex is installed (via standard
package-list-packages), version 11.88.5, i.e., into the .emacs.d/elpa
directory, then auctex is loaded when a .tex file is visited, even in the
absence of an init.el.  good.

problem: starting emacs on a retina i7 iMac to edit a latex source file now
takes about 5 seconds on an empty or 1-page latex article.  during this time,
the emacs bottom states "For information about the Gnu System..." for these 5
seconds, and then it proceeds as expected.  No errors or warnings.  Just slow.

with the -q option is instant.  yet, starting emacs [without any init.el files
but without -q] on a .tex file loads auctex from the elpa/auctex-11.88.5 files
with a startup delay of 5 seconds.

my hostname is fully qualified (xxx.anderson.ucla.edu).  a cli 'hostname'
command shows me that this is correct.  the cli 'domainname' is empty, but it
does not seem to matter.

now, I tried to (setq TeX-parse-self t) and (setq TeX-auto-save t), and created
a local auto/ subdirectory, but 'opensnoop | grep /Users/me/' shows me that
emacs does not even attempt to save a parsed latex version in this "cache" like
directory.  this may be obsolete by now?!

staring at "top" output while emacs is waiting suggests that slow loading is
not an issue of a CPU bottleneck.  I am guessing that emacs is waiting up for
something to happen or become available, and then falls back to what it should
be doing in the first place.

now, there are two emacs installations on my system, the standard OSX
distribution of 22.1.1 and the new emacs 24.5.1 distribution.  it may well be
the case that the binary distribution has some problems.  In particular, I see
that it queries whole hierarchies in '/Library/Application Support/Emacs/'
which does not exist.  linking ln -sf
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp /Library/Application\
Support/Emacs/24.5/site-lisp did not fix the slow startup.  oh well...  at this
point, I am beyond my abilities.

this is probably my fault.  I am not an emacs expert, but I am also not an
emacs novice.

whatever slows emacs down to such glacial speed makes a bad impression on
novices that are switching to emacs.  it would be useful to build some more
intelligence [at least some warnings] into the emacs auctex startup.  hope this
helps.

PS: possibly related to
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28622218/emacs-auctex-slow-to-start, which
has not been answered.