Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals

From: notbob
Subject: Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals
Date: 8 May 2015 13:34:21 GMT

On 2015-05-08, Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you prefer a book, I'd recommend
> "Learning GNU Emacs":

>   http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596006488.do
>
> You need to start using GNU Emacs for your day-to-day work/study.

As a lifelong emacs user (vi is the heart of evil --nb), I also
recommend this book.  The latest edition (3rd ed) is 10 yrs outta
date, but it's still better than any alternatvives I've seen.
Primariliy due to the fact the author presents his howto info in every
day lay language. Buy a used copy.  After the book introduces you to
the basics, look up specifics online.

I use emacs primarily as my file manager (dired), also as my
primary text editor.  All the other stuff emacs is capable of, like
erc (IRC client), gnus (mail/nntp), etc, are stricly bonuses and can
be quite complicated for the neophyte.

This is a good source of info:

http://www.emacswiki.org/

The Gnu Emacs official manual is a document best experienced in small
doses.  Do a browser search and find small specifics from the manusl,
as the entire manual is almost overwhelming.  At the very least, a
total snooze.  ;)

nb