Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 13:10:30 -0600

Vaidheeswaran C wrote:
> Shakthi Kannan wrote:
> > Vaidheeswaran C wrote:
> > | What would be the best way to learn Emacs.
> >
> > Start with the GNU Emacs tutorial. If you prefer a book, I'd recommend
> > "Learning GNU Emacs":
> >
> >   http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596006488.do
>
> Have you read that book? The book is old.  Do you still think that I
> can use it.  For example, does it talk about Org-mode etc.

A student says that they really want to learn Calculus.  They know
that Calculus is very powerful and can be used to solve many problems.
I suggest that they learn Arithmetic first.  They respond,
"Arithmetic!  Have you learned Arithmetic?  Arithmetic is old.  Should
I learn Arithmetic?  For example, will Arithmetic talk about
Calculus?"

I didn't learn Emacs from the book Learning GNU Emacs but I have it
and it is a good introduction.  It is easier to learn the fundamentals
and then build upon them with more advanced concepts afterward.

Bob