Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals

From: Vaidheeswaran C
Subject: Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals
Date: Sat, 09 May 2015 14:48:55 +0530

On Saturday 09 May 2015 03:36 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I think it's good and important to talk about the different ways to
> navigate (e.g. I'm particularly fond of sexp-navigation), but when
> I present Emacs to my students, I never bother with the cursor-motion
> part.  E.g. I talk instead about windows and buffers (e.g. the fact that
> you can display a buffer in more that one window at the same time),
> especially about C-x 1 to get rid of the pesky windows which may popup
> along the way.
>
> I also talk about indentation (since either they can't imagine that the
> editor might do it for them, or on the contrary they're disappointed
> that it doesn't happen 100% automatically, or because they're confusing
> the TAB key, the insertion of TAB characters, and the notion of
> indenting text to a "tabulation point", which they seem to sometimes
> take from WYSIWYG word processors).

Thanks for this note. This is EXACTLY the kind of input that I hoped
this thread would generate.

If the tutorial is just a handout and the manual is a Handbook, the
"Emacs Book" will be a handy-book, full of tips and tricks and lot
less intimadting.

There is a Quick Tour (http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/) but in
my assessment it is a bit advanced.