Re: pushing and popping the mark

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: Re: pushing and popping the mark
Date: Sat, 9 May 2015 15:11:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, 9 May 2015 22:42:21 UTC+1, Emanuel Berg  wrote:
> Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > 1. go to "new text", kill some relevant text 2.
> > go to "existing text", yank 3. repeat
>
> The best way to do this is to move (once), kill
> everything, move again (once), and yank everything.
>
> So use the kill *ring*.
>
> When you yank, if it isn't what you like, do
> (immediately after the yank) `M-y' for `yank-pop'.

I know this is called `yank-pop`, but it is more of a "peek" because it keeps
the kill ring intact.

More generally though, this is a neat solution. I hadn't thought to do it this
way. The only problem with it is that it necessitates doing everything in exact
order and not making any mistakes along the way. Therefore, I'll prefer `C-x
C-x` when there are more than a few things needing moved around, but prefer
this in simple cases.