Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 12:17:03 +0100

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:
>> Now if the cursor-keys didn't work it would not be so bad
>> And ideal would be for them to work AND be documented
>> But works and NOT documented/demoed in tutorial... and there are serious
>> allegations of ATTITUDE!
>
> I can't believe it.  Do you teach retards?

I teach intelligent, interested and engaged students, whom it is my
pleasure and privilege to introduce to programming, and show them how to
take charge of their own computers, and have the computers work for
them, rather than the other way around. I am sure that Rusi is in the
same position.

Over time, the experiences of people change, and the knowledge that they
bring with them changes. This makes some things harder to understand,
some things easier. For instance, I have the majority of my students got
to grips with git in a day or two (which I was not expecting),
something which has caused grief here. But running "hello world" in
python in Emacs not easy. "Eval buffer" -- what's that then? And even
once you've done that, where has it gone, because the shell isn't
visible.

Phil