Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 14:06:44 -0400

> No, those are not use cases for a *tutorial*.  Those are use cases for
> a demo or a user guide or an introduction/overview.

I disagree.  Someone who's interested in trying out Emacs might like to
write some Python code (say), and might be better served by a tutorial
that showcases what Emacs can do in that specific context, focusing on
how to use various features like completion, eldoc, interaction with an
inferior process, installing new ELPA packages, looking up help,
tweaking the indentation rules, ...

> A tutorial is about learning by *doing*.

That's a property of its form, not its function.

        Stefan