Re: Copy/paste between console and emacs

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Copy/paste between console and emacs
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 15:02:29 -0600

jonetsu wrote:
> In 24.4.1, after selecting text in a console window (kconsole),
> the only way to paste it in emacs is to use the mouse.  In previous
> emacs version, I used to use Shift-Ins.  Now Shift-ins only works
> for texte selected inside emacs (and between emacs instances).  So
> I've been doing it the 'new way' for some time although today, I
> decided to finally ask if it is possible to use Shift-ins for any
> kind of pasting, not only within emacs :)

This comes up periodically in the mailing list.  Some people feel
strongly one way.  Others feel strongly the other way.  Note that it
has deep personal preferences involved as do most user interface
decisions.

I set the following according to my preferences.

    (setq select-active-regions nil)    ; default is nil in 23, t in 24
    (setq mouse-drag-copy-region t)     ; default is t in 23, nil in 24
    (setq x-select-enable-primary t)    ; default is nil in 23, t in 24
    (setq x-select-enable-clipboard nil) ; default is nil in 23, t in 24
    (setq x-select-enable-clipboard-manager nil) ; new in 24, default is t

You probably want x-select-enable-primary in particular.  See the
documentation for the set to determine what you like and don't like.

Bob