Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 21:07:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 11:40:12 PM UTC+5:30, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > No, those are not use cases for a *tutorial*.  Those are use cases for
> > a demo or a user guide or an introduction/overview.
>
> I disagree.  Someone who's interested in trying out Emacs might like to
> write some Python code (say), and might be better served by a tutorial
> that showcases what Emacs can do in that specific context, focusing on
> how to use various features like completion, eldoc, interaction with an
> inferior process, installing new ELPA packages, looking up help,
> tweaking the indentation rules, ...

Around the time org mode manual crossed the 200(?) page mark there was some
talk of having a mini-manual or something like that

At that time I suggested that since org is a world in itself
a bunch of intros targeted at specific audiences may be a good idea:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-03/msg00660.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2009-02/msg00197.html

Since emacs is a superset of org half dozen emacs-intros from different slants
could certainly help