Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 15:10:02 +0300

On 13/05/2015 09:47 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> Most user nowadays will be happy to use the (these days) conventional
> cursor keys for movement (and discover to their delight that C-Left
> jumps by words, wow!), click on menus and so on. Thus (one variant of)
> tutorial would *only hint* (with links) at the existence of C-f etc.
> which are so close to the hearts of the old garde. Heck, I'm an
> old fart and *even on vi* (which I spell vim) I don't "HJKL" but use
> the cursor keys (which are more within reach these days as nearly
> everyone who has still a keyboard is on some kind of netbook).

When using arrow keys for movement there's a danger that Emacs will turn
into one big inconvenience.

Rather, large amount of different keys to remember could lead to
thinking of a suitable typing scheme and that's imho is an enjoyable
thing.

When I realized that right-hand modifiers can be used as well as
left-hand, it made my experience much more pleasant.

Filipp