Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 18:07:13 +0300

> From: Vaidheeswaran C <vaidheeswaran.chinnaraju@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 11:20:43 +0530
>
> What I would have ALSO liked to hear from you is your inputs on what
> would make "The Emacs Primer" a success.  For example, I am thinking
> of multiple Emacs primers:
>
> 1. An Emacs Primer for Common Text Editing Tasks.
> 2. An Emacs Primer for Programmers.
> 3. An Emacs Primer for Thesis Writers.
> 4  An Emacs Primer for The Network Savvy.

I cannot (yet) answer these questions, mainly because it's not clear
to me what would be the scope of such primers.  Perhaps you could
clarify that.  For example, the Emacs manual has a chapter named
"Commands for Human Languages", which seems to cover the same turf as
your "Common Text Editing Tasks".  So what part of that would be in
scope for the "Text Primer"?  Same question regarding "Primer for
Programmers" vs. "Editing Programs", "Compiling and Testing Programs",
and maybe also "Maintaining Large Programs".

By "scope" I mean where does each primer start and where does it end?

IOW, I guess it goes back to the questions asked by RMS, which you
didn't (yet) answer.

> I would very much appreciate your notings on my (future) drafts.

When there are drafts, why not?