Re: Changing Encoding system for "Defaults for subprocess I/O"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changing Encoding system for "Defaults for subprocess I/O"
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 17:45:50 +0300

> Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 16:24:55 -0700 (PDT)
> From: dan <breadncup@gmail.com>
>
> On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 4:15:37 PM UTC-7, dan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When I enter "M-x eshell", the describe-coding-system shows
> >
> > Defaults for subprocess I/O:
> >   decoding: U -- utf-8-unix (alias: mule-utf-8-unix)
> >
> >   encoding: U -- utf-8-unix (alias: mule-utf-8-unix)
> >

> > However, when I go to "M-x shell", it shows
> >
> > Defaults for subprocess I/O:
> >   decoding: - -- undecided-unix (alias: unix)
> >
> >   encoding: - -- undecided-unix (alias: unix)
> >

> > Because of above, some international character does not show properly.

Which international characters are those, and what program outputs
them?

Also, what is your locale?

> > Do you know how to set the "Defaults for subprocess I/O" for all
> > buffers/shell?

Take a look at process-coding-system-alist, which will allow you to
set the defaults as appropriate for specific applications.

> Also, do you know how to make a change for
>
> "Coding systems for process I/O"?

That's the same question as you asked above, just worded differently.

> Or disable it?

You can't.