Re: Emacs 24.5 and external-abook

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: Emacs 24.5 and external-abook
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 17:00:56 +0200

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Aloha all,
>
> I recently upgraded to Emacs 24.5 and this apparently broke
> external-abook for me.
>
> If I look for my employee, Krickette, then (format
> external-abook-command query) returns this:
>
> #("contacts -lSf '%we \"%n\"' 'Krickette'" 26 35 (face message-header-to
>  fontified t))
>
> Then, (shell-command-to-string) returns:
>
> "error: no one found
> "
>
> However, if I execute the string part of the sequence on the command line:
>
> contacts -lSf '%we\"%n\"' 'Krickette'

I don't have or use external-abook, but I notice that what you executed
above isn't the same as the return value you gave before, which was (I
remove one level of quoting) :
contacts -lSf '%we "%n"' 'Krickette'

The differences are :
- the space after %we, and
- the escaped vs unescaped double-quote marks.

Could this be relevant to your problem ?

--
Nicolas Richard