Re: split window

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: split window
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 22:52:29 +0300

> Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 20:43:55 +0100
> From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com>
>
> Emacs 23.3.1 is the latest for Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, which is
> in long-term support until 2017.  It was built for Ubuntu in May 2013.
> I've tried switching to Emacs 24.4, but the debugger interface (M-x gdb
> -i mi) makes horrible window and frame choices.  I've gone back to
> Emacs 23 for running the debugger.

The old GDB interface is still there, you just need to use "M-x gud-gdb"
to invoke it.  Downgrading to 23.x because of that is too radical,
cause you'll miss a whole load of useful features.

> I might even wind up integrating the m17n bug fixes and improvements
> into my copy.

You will be much better off using 24.5 for that, or even the git
master.  Among other things, UAX#9 is supported to the last additions
in Unicode 6.3 and 7.0; even the proposed additions for 8.0 are in.

> Emacs 24.4 was the latest stable Emacs release a few months ago.  It
> might even be the last version for me as an editor - the news for
> Emacs 24.5 (https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/news/NEWS.24.5) says
> 'tpu-edt.el' is now obsolete, so I may have to find a new editor.  I
> only need the EDT bits from tpu-edt.

Obsolete doesn't mean dead or gone, just that it's in a separate
directory.  Why should you care about that, and punish yourself?

> > This is what lead me to think it was something in the init file.
> > Try "emacs -q your-file.here", instead.  The "-Q" inhibits the
> > startup screen as well as the site-init and user init files.  The
> > lowercase "-q" option inhibits the user init file only.
>
> I did some archaeology with the Windows builds - command line uses
> runemacs.

No, runemacs is for invoking Emacs from a desktop shortcut or from an
Explorer window, or from Start->Run dialog.

> On Windows, Emacs 23.0.60.1 (and 23.2 and 24.4) displays two windows,
> the startup screen and the file to be visited, whether or not the -q
> option is specified. It looks like new Emacs behaviour at Version 23.

I see nothing of the kind here.  There's no such new behavior.