Re: split window

From: Richard Wordingham
Subject: Re: split window
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 22:24:59 +0100

On Wed, 27 May 2015 22:52:29 +0300
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 20:43:55 +0100
> > From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com>

> No, runemacs is for invoking Emacs from a desktop shortcut or from an
> Explorer window, or from Start->Run dialog.

> > On Windows, Emacs 23.0.60.1 (and 23.2 and 24.4) displays two
> > windows, the startup screen and the file to be visited, whether or
> > not the -q option is specified. It looks like new Emacs behaviour
> > at Version 23.

> I see nothing of the kind here.  There's no such new behavior.

For Windows, I see the two-window behaviour for Versions 23 and 24, and
the one-window (for the file to edit) in Version 22.  The one-window
behaviour is what I see almost daily for Version 20.2 on Solaris.  This
difference looks like new behaviour to me.  I normally start Emacs on
Windows by double clicking on the icon for runemacs.exe.  I am sure I
read that emacs.exe couldn't be started directly, so I didn't try it
until today.  When I did launch it from Windows explorer, the only
issue was that it created a terminal window.  It shows the same one- v.
two-window behaviour as runemacs.

With Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04), I tended not to start emacs from the
command line because of the error messages.  Therefore I cannot say for
sure when the two-window behaviour started.  I recently changed the
cursor style on Ubuntu to the 'bar' style, and for Emacs 24.4 I need the
environment setting LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0.  That's a GTK-related
problem.

In short, the behaviour of Emacs has changed.  Are you saying you get
the same behaviour for Versions 22 and 23?

Richard.