Re: .emacs to keep cursor stationary when scrolling with mouse

From: tomas
Subject: Re: .emacs to keep cursor stationary when scrolling with mouse
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 15:04:53 +0200

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 07:48:34AM +0000, JohnF wrote:
> tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> > Just one remark, perhaps to ease communication. When you say "stay fixed",
> > you mean *relative to the window* and not *relative to the buffer* (in
> > other words, to the underlying text), right?
>
> Right. When scrolling text with keyboard page up/down. And that works now.

[...]

> > It took me a while to realize that [...]
> > Seen from that perspective, you want to "move" point along with "window",

[...]

> Maybe, maybe not -- what's a "window"??? I meant the physical screen
> real estate, what emacs maybe calls the "frame", as in, e.g.,
>   (set-frame-width (selected-frame) 80)        ; #cols wide
>   (set-frame-height (selected-frame) 52)       ; #rows high

"Window" in Emacs terminology: the pane you are looking through to see
the content of the buffer. A "frame" can contain several windows. Concerning
your wish, it doesn't make much difference, because the relations between
window and frame don't change while scrolling (I'd hope ;-)

> Relative to that, I want the point stationary when text scrolls.
> Now, if you mean the "window of the text buffer" displayed in
> the frame, which changes as text scrolls, then I guess I could agree
> that the point "moves" relative to that. But it seems an odd way
> to phrase things...

Yes, that's why I pointed it out as soon as I noticed. I don't have
a direct solution to your problem (but there's another answer which
looks good), but I thought I could help bridging the sematic gap.

> ...Maybe that's just the "mental model" you mentioned above,
> for emacs relative to people (me) accustomed to other editors.
> An anthropologist could maybe have a good time with that.
> How does
>   "Ethnocentrism as exhibited by different editor communities"
> sound as the title for an article submitted to the American Journal
> of Anthropology (or wherever)? :)

:-)

But actually, this is one of the difficulties in getting up to speed with
Emacs: it's a toolset with a long history, and thus with a rich and
deeply ingrained culture which, to beginners poses a hurdle. Sometimes
things "you know" are called in strange ways, sometimes "you do" things
differently. Of course, you can customize (nearly) everything to your
liking, but sometimes it's difficult to express what you want in a
way that the Emacs tribe understands it.

Regards
- -- tomás