Re: gtags-find-tag and gtags-find-rtag in C-code

From: Peter Münster
Subject: Re: gtags-find-tag and gtags-find-rtag in C-code
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 22:34:14 +0200

On Tue, Jun 02 2015, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> The development sources for Emacs have that via xref, I think.

Yes, etags uses the xref-frontend now.

> I don't use gtags, but isn't it just for definitions?

It's a bit like etags, but it can jump also to the references.
After further investigation, it seems, that there are 2 problems:
- there is a bug that prevents global from finding enumeration values¹
- finding definitions of variables is not yet implemented²

ctags does not have theses problems, but it cannot find references³.
This is just bad luck and it has nothing to do with emacs...

¹: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.global.bugs/1982
²: http://www.gnu.org/software/global/plans.html
³: http://ctags.sourceforge.net/faq.html#12

--