Re: understanding backquote

From: Olaf Rogalsky
Subject: Re: understanding backquote
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 01:00:30 +0200

>> I have problems in understanding the semantics of backquote. Consider
> (info "(elisp) Backquote")

Yes, I read that, but the manual does not make it entirly clear, at
which time comma expressions are evaluated: at read or at compile-time:

  9.4 Backquote
  The special marker ‘,’ inside of the argument to backquote indicates a
  value that isn’t constant. The Emacs Lisp evaluator evaluates the
  argument of ‘,’, and puts the value in the list structure:

> Now, the fact that you obtain a simple constant function is unrelated
> to the backquote, but comes from the fact that you have a good and smart
> compiler, that notices that the expression is a constant expression, and
> therefore it is reduced at compilation time:
Thanks for the confirmation, I already suspected this.

Olaf