Re: Control-C conundrum

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Control-C conundrum
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 22:47:38 -0600

Tim Johnson wrote:
> I've done extensive keybinding based on the recommendations here:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Key-Binding-Conventions.html

Those are the rules for people producing code for other people to
use.  These are packages and modes distributed with emacs and as 3rd
party resources to emacs.  If you wrote a new mode and wanted to
distribute the sources for other people to use then you should follow
those rules so that other people will be able to interact with them.

> I'm aware that major or minor modes may use C-l or C-o, but I don't
> have any of the thumb pain when I use either C-l or C-o.

If you are making your own keybindings for your own use then you are
free to do anything you wish.  Including violate those rules for your
own purposes.  Those key binding conventions don't apply to the end
user.  I say do whatever you feel is best for you.  Pain does not grow
character.  Pain is painful.

> Here's my problem :
> I have severe arthritis in my thumbs. When I use fingers in my left
> hand, bending down to reach the "c" key, I will shortly experience a
> lot of pain in the base of my left thumb.

Your keyboard seems different from the familiar keyboards.  Are you
using your thumb for the control key?  I wouldn't assume you were
using the thumb for the 'c' key.  I know there are many keyboard
variations available and possible.  Many of the ergo keyboards are
very "interesting".  :-)

For me on my US IBM PC 104 type keyboard (but without the keypad) the
Alt keys used for Meta are adjacent to the spacebar.  I use my thumbs
for the Alt key.  The Cntrl key is on the outside under the shift
keys.  I wouldn't be able to use my thumb for the Cntrl key.
Therefore my question.

I and many people think the position of the Cntrl key is inconvenient.
I remap the control key.  For me I remap the CapsLock key as my Cntrl
key.  (I am holding a real VT102 keyboard in my lap as I type this and
the Cntrl key is to the left of the 'A' outside of the CapLock.)  I
use my left pinky for the Cntrl.  Having grown up on HP-UX systems I
also remap the stock left Cntrl key as an ESC key as it was on HP-UX
HIL keyboard.  I use my left pinky for ESC on the lower left as that
is more convenient to me than the upper left and matches the old HP-UX
HIL keybaord.  I habitually use my left thumb for the Alt (meta).

Perhaps you could say a few words about your keyboard and typing
environment?  Are you using an ergo keyboard?

> I'd welcome any comments or suggestions, :) including thumb surgery.

We always joke about foot pedals.  However those do exist!  I am
somewhat joking now suggesting them but if I were dealing with the
problem it might be something to consider.

Bob