Re: Set variable in derived mode before running the parent mode function

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Set variable in derived mode before running the parent mode function
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2015 13:52:32 +0200

Am 06.06.2015 um 17:58 schrieb Philipp Stephani:
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> schrieb am Mi., 3. Juni 2015 um
03:15 Uhr:

`python-mode' are inappropriate for the derived mode; in particular, I'd
like to disable auto-guessing of the indentation by setting
`python-indent-guess-indent-offset' to nil.  However,
`define-derived-mode' has no customization point for running code before
the parent mode function.  What's the best way to solve this?
Add the code *after* running python-mode?  After all, setting vars
before would be a waste since python-mode (like all other proper major
modes) begins by calling kill-all-local-variables (also known as
fundamental-mode).

You're right, that wouldn't work. The problem is that
python-indent-guess-indent-offset prints a message if it couldn't guess the
indentation; I'd like to suppress that message.

Disabling a message is another thing than disabling auto-guessing.

Look into python.el, definition of

python-indent-guess-indent-offset

Messaging is done from last line there. Put it at an extra line - i.e. a new line at the end of "(message
" sexp. Than comment out that line.