Re: How to get info pages for Emacs?

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: How to get info pages for Emacs?
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 12:07:02 -0700

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 20:43:16 +0200, in message 87r3pmkpmj.fsf@gnu.org,
Tassilo Horn wrote:

> "KARR, DAVID" <dk068x@att.com> writes:
>
> >> Next, check in "/usr/share/info" for the file "emacs.info".  If it
> >> isn't there, try re-installing emacs.  If it is there, check the
> >> same directory for the file "doc", which is the top-level node for
> >> Info.  It should have the lines:
> >>
> >>     Emacs
> >>     * Emacs: (emacs).
> >>
> >> (possibly more) in there, under Editors.
> >>
> >> Beyond that, I'm lost.
> >
> > % ls *emacs*
> > emacs-gnutls.info.gz  emacs.info.gz  emacs-mime.info.gz
> >
> > % ls *doc*
> > ls: cannot access *doc*: No such file or directory
>
> That file is actually named "dir".

Ooops!  Boy is my face red.  Only three letters, and I got two of
them worng.  Oh dear.

> > However, if I run "info emacs" from the command ilne, it brings up
> > the Emacs info node.  It's just Emacs that can't find its own info
> > page.
>
> What's the value of `Info-directory-list'?  I guess it doesn't contain
> /usr/share/info/, and then that's the problem.  That variable is
> documented to be initialized from `Info-default-directory-list', so
> what's the value of that variable?
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Thanks, Tassilo.  I was completely ignorant of those variables.
My dealings with Info are limited to reading the docs.  (Fedora's
packaging seems to always put things in the right place.)  I've
never tried to build an info file myself.

--Dale

--
Delusions are often functional.  A mother's opinions about her
children's beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseam,