Re: A (probably silly) problem with request.el

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: A (probably silly) problem with request.el
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 23:58:00 +0200

On 2015-06-06, at 21:25, Nicolas Richard <youngfrog@members.fsf.org> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>> Now the question is:
>> how do I do anything reasonable with what I got?  In my particular case
>> I expect json, so I'd like to use e.g. json.el to convert it to s-exps.
>> How do I do that?  I tried
>>
>> (request "http://httpbin.org/get"; :parser #'json-read),
>
> The request form will *never*[1] return json, because it returns before the
> request is complete. This is what asynchronous means, and that is why I
> said "The real job must be done by a callback function".
>
> The very first example in the homepage of the package uses httpbin.org.
> Here's a simplified version of it :
>
> (request
>  "http://httpbin.org/get";
>  :parser 'json-read
>  :success (function*
>            (lambda (&key data &allow-other-keys)
>              (message "response: %S" data))))
>
> Please try it and see what happens. The function mentionned as :success
> takes over once the request is complete (well, unless the request fails
> obviously...). That is a "callback" function.

OK, so I have now another (though related) problem.  What I want is to
write a function which will accept the url, feed it to =request=, and
/return/ the json-translated-to-sexp result.  I tried this:

(require 'request-deferred)

(deferred:$
  (request-deferred "http://httpbin.org/get"; :parser 'json-read)
  (deferred:nextc it
    (lambda (response)
      (request-response-data response))))

(slightly modified from http://tkf.github.io/emacs-request/manual.html),
but it didn't seem to work.  (It just returns the struct, not the sexp.)
Unfortunately, I do not really understand request's (nor deferred's)
docs well enough to be able to debug it myself.  Any hints?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University