a mode-specific hack-local-variables-hook ?

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: a mode-specific hack-local-variables-hook ?
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 12:54:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I recently added this to my init.el

  (add-hook 'hack-local-variables-hook 'whitespace-mode)

so that whitespace-mode would see my local variables before applying its rules.

I did this in my major mode hook, thinking that it would just add it to the
current mode's hooks, but it seems to be a global hook. Other than putting in
an "(if (eq major-mode 'scala-mode) ... )" type test in a lambda?

Best regards,
Sam