Re: command-separator char

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: command-separator char
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 22:47:25 +0200

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

> several languages know about a character separating
> expressions resp. commands: ";" for example.
>
> Reflecting a generic level of navigations, it would
> be helpful if the language-modes would set such
> a constant.

This seems like a good idea - but is it?

If you use Emacs long enough which I think you have
isn't it better to just use the common point-moving
keys? G*d knows there are alot of them by now.
Also combine them with the M-{1..9} to move say three
`forward-word'. (Or use the otherwise `digit-argument'
keys which include C-{1..9} for you non-Linux VT user.
- or use C-u.)

Also write code to fit the style: Short words that are
simple to type and navigate, with short lines.

If you intend to use Emacs for a variety of
programming modes this seems like good money to start
putting in the bank early on. It makes sense being an
accordion player only because those chords will appear
over and over... Remember, "what you once feared, now
makes you free."

On the other "hand", if you will just use but a few
programming modes, say for Lisp and C, apart from
still being much helped by the first approach, you can
use the mode-specific functions on top of that:
`forward-sexp', for example.

What I see you are trying to do is put a third level
in-between then mode-specific and then all-out general
Emacs point-movement commands. It is a good idea on
the drawing board but a don't see myself ever using
it. But of course, I am not you.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573