Re: Check for redundancy

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Check for redundancy
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 04:53:28 +0200

> Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:
>
>> A pretty easy (and safe) way is to define redundancy
>> as "functional equivalence" (which is what the OP
>> mean, I think) and then compare the
>> generated bytecode.
>
> Have ten programmers solve the same problem, then
> compile - do you now have ten instances of identical
> bytecode? I don't think so.

See all those tiny helper functions defined in every package. They do
the same and I guess that they are implemented the same way. An
informative note from the byte compiler saying that
foo-remove-string-prefix has an equivalent available on the current
version of Emacs would be appreaciated.

Solving the general problem is much harder, obviously, but I think that
the OP knows that.