How to read a s-exp from a buffer?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: How to read a s-exp from a buffer?
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 20:59:13 +0200

Hi all,

so I want to write my own lexical analyzer of Elisp code (a very simple
one, of course).  Encouraged by Michael Heerdegen, I might want to start
with a simple metacircular evaluator (just as an exercise, further to be
transformed e.g. to a blog post for other learners of (Emacs) Lisp), and
then I’d like to write a more useful thing analyzing Elisp code.

So, I have an s-exp in the buffer, and I want to read it into
a variable, where it will become an Elisp list.  How do I do that?
Notice that I’d like to preserve all the funny things like (back)quotes
or commas, since I want to deal with them in my code.  That’s why
I assume that the ‘read’ function is not exactly what I’m looking for.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University