Gnus + Gmail + IMAP

From: Alexander Shukaev
Subject: Gnus + Gmail + IMAP
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 20:51:22 +0200

Hey Everyone,

Just started to move away from using Gmail through the web interface to
Emacs Gnus.  I follow Emacs Wiki to achieve this.  Here is the
configuration so far:

(setq user-mail-address "*@gmail.com"
      user-full-name    "*")

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "gmail"
                                  (nnimap-address     "imap.gmail.com")
                                  (nnimap-server-port "imaps")
                                  (nnimap-stream      ssl)
                                  (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")))

(setq smtpmail-smtp-service   587
      gnus-ignored-newsgroups "^to\\.\\|^[0-9. ]+\\(
\\|$\\)\\|^[\"]\"[#'()]")

and

machine imap.gmail.com login *@gmail.com password * port imaps
machine smtp.gmail.com login *@gmail.com password * port 587

When I issue 'M-x gnus RET' I keep getting:

Opening connection to imap.gmail.com via tls...
Unable to open server nnimap+gmail due to: Unknown service: 993
nnimap (gmail) open error: ''.  Continue? (y or n) n
Couldn't open server on gmail
Warning: Unable to open server nnimap+gmail due to: Unknown service: 993

Opening nnimap server on gmail...
Server nnimap+gmail previously determined to be down; not retrying
Opening nnimap server on gmail...failed:
Checking new news...
Reading active file from gmail via nnimap...
Opening nnimap server on gmail...
Server nnimap+gmail previously determined to be down; not retrying
Opening nnimap server on gmail...failed:
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done
No news is good news
Warning: Opening nnimap server on gmail...failed: ; Server nnimap+gmail
previously determined to be down; not retrying; Opening nnimap server on
gmail...failed: ; Server nnimap+gmail previously determined to be down; not
retrying; Unable to open server nnimap+gmail due to: Unknown service: 993

Does anybody have an idea what could go wrong?  Thank you.

Regards,
Alexander