Re: Gnus + Gmail + IMAP

From: Alexander Shukaev
Subject: Re: Gnus + Gmail + IMAP
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 11:29:02 +0200

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:59 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> wrote:

> On 2015-06-29 21:25 +0200, Alexander Shukaev wrote:
>
> > Just started to move away from using Gmail through the web interface
> > to Emacs Gnus.  I follow Emacs Wiki to achieve this.
>
> I don't know if this is your problem, but Gmail won't allow you to use
> an IMAP client without jumping through extra hoops.  See for example:
>

> http://www.ghacks.net/2014/07/21/gmail-starts-block-less-secure-apps-enable-access/

​Hey Ian,

The link appears to be broken.  ​
​

> If you really want to degoogle, I recommend setting up your own
> mailserver :-P

​
That's exactly what I want to do in the future perspective.  However, I
have never done this before and I have no idea what software/hardware to
take for this (private home e-mail server).  Ideally, I would like to ask
for help on this topic also on this Emacs mailing list because there are
seems to be tons of experts here with diverse background and experience who
might know how to set up all this.  I've also read somewhere that it might
be challenging to maintain the server in such a way that it wouldn't end up
in the blacklists.

Concerning the problem: I've tried today again and I keep receiving

Opening connection to imap.gmail.com via tls...
nnimap (imap.gmail.com) open error: 'NO (ALERT) Please log in via your web
browser: https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754 (Failure)'.
Continue? (y or n) n

Regards,
Alexander