Re: Gnus + Gmail + IMAP

From: Alexander Shukaev
Subject: Re: Gnus + Gmail + IMAP
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 22:45:39 +0200

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 10:09 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 23:04:09 +0300
> > From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> >
> > Somehow, minibuffer-line--update calls format-mode-line, which calls
> > format-time-string, which again calls run-hooks, which again calls
> > minibuffer-line--update.  Look into your hook and see how this can
> > happen.
>
> I think I know the answer:
> ​​
> format-time-string uses a temporary buffer,
> which is then killed when no longer needed.  That call to kill-buffer
> invokes your buffer-list-update-hook again, thus the infinite
> recursion.
>
> I think you need to modify your
> ​​
> buffer-list-update-hook to ignore
> temporary buffers, those whose names begin with a space.

​If that is the case, then why when I simply select some other window via
`select-window', which also runs the ​`​buffer-list-update-hook', which (1)
runs the `​format-time-string' for `minibuffer-line', (2) runs
`format-mode-line' for `minibuffer-line', the recursion does not happen?

I've also tried to run `​format-time-string' manually just now and it
didn't entail recursion on its own.