Re: Check for redundancy

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Check for redundancy
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 09:41:38 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 09:36:13 +0600
> Cc: "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
>       Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
>
> Nowadays (since ≈2002?) the SDK defines a strict mode, where different
> kinds of handles become pointers to different tag structure types:
>
> struct tagWND;  // declared but not defined
> typedef struct tagWND* HWND;

Perhaps in MSVC compiler, not in MinGW.  With MinGW, something similar
happens only if you compile with -DSTRICT (which is rarely, if ever,
done).  And even in MSVC headers I see something significantly
different from what you show above, and it's also conditioned by
STRICT being defined.

Of course, the original claim that "everything is some kind of handle"
in Windows programming, is also very inaccurate.  Windows headers are
replete with structures, unions, and primitive data types other than
HANDLE.