Re: How to add syntax-highlighting to a Help buffer?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: How to add syntax-highlighting to a Help buffer?
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 19:43:25 +0200

Raffaele Ricciardi <rfflrccrd@gmail.com> writes:

> I thought that Help buffers relied on Font Lock Mode because -- in a
> Help buffer -- `C-h v font-lock-mode RET' replied:
>
>     Its value is t
>     Local in buffer *Help*; global value is nil
>
>     Non-nil if Font-Lock mode is enabled.

AFAIK this is a side effect of `global-font-lock-mode'.  The global mode
(on by default) enables font-lock-mode in any buffer, while the default
value of `font-lock-mode' remains nil.

But OTOH the font-lock-mode related display functions kick in only when
certain variables are not nil (like `font-lock-keywords').

Michael.