Re: Org keymap question

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Org keymap question
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 04:02:37 +0200

Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> writes:

>> The Info node that I referenced says:
>>
>> 'M-S-<right>     (org-table-insert-column)'
>>       Insert a new column to the left of the cursor position.
>>
>> & that is what I was expecting to find, but didn't.
>>
> I must be missing the point. Are you asking why C-h w or M-x whereis
> does not report that M-S-right is bound to org-table-insert-column,
> even though it is bound?
>
> I agree that  C-h w org-table-insert-column gives the tesult that you
> received, i.e. not bound to any key.
>
> And yet - meta-shift-right is the key chord for
> org-table-insert-column which does insert a column to the left of the
> point
>
> Perhaps there is a bug vis-a-vis, "whereis" and the orgmode
> keybindings, and I suggest that you post this question to the orgmode
> mailing list at emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, since it is there you will find
> the org-mode gurus

C-h k M-S-<right> while the point is on a Org table gives:

<M-S-right> runs the command org-shiftmetaright (found in
org-mode-map), which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
`org.el'.

It is bound to <M-S-right>, ESC <S-right>, C-c C-x R, <menu-bar> <Org>
<Edit Structure> <Demote Subtree>, <menu-bar> <Tbl> <Column> <Insert
Column>.

(org-shiftmetaright)

Demote subtree or insert table column.
Calls `org-demote-subtree', `org-indent-item-tree', or
`org-table-insert-column', depending on context.  See the
individual commands for more information.

As you can see the key binding invokes org-shiftmetaright which calls
the corresponding function as per the context. It is apparent that Org
has its own keybinding dispatch mechanism on top of Emacs', so
`where-is' and related features are not reliable when working on Org.